Thursday, August 03, 2006

LA Observed goes local

As the LA Observed empire continues to grow, it is starting to get a little bulky for me to handle. There are now "community blogs" as part of the growing online empire. Echo Park is the first community to get special attention. I think it's great more neighborhoods are getting attention. Jenny Burman joins the Echo Park Nerd in covering Echo Park. I wonder if they will post along the same topics, as both seem interested in history, community, and general promotion of their neighborhood.

I wonder what community is next in the LA Observed world.

Which community needs a blogging voice that will be read by the masses? I think a Pico-Union Blogger or a Boyle Heights Blogger would be good. What do you think?

5 comments:

Zach Behrens said...

Shadow Hills, Tujunga, South Central areas. Why not Porter Ranch too? That's a bit random feeling.

AVN said...

I'd love to find a map of LA neighborhood bloggers, like they have at nycbloggers.com ... Obviously the LA version couldn't entirely be based on a subway map... (AVN)

Peter McFerrin said...

A Pico-Union blogger had better be en espanol. I would guess that approximately 95% of that nabe's residents are either immigrants from Spanish-speaking countries or the children thereof.

Peter McFerrin said...

Oh, I don't think of those areas as Pico-Union. P-U to me is the area bounded by Hoover on the west, Olympic on the north, the 110 on the east, and the 10 on the south. In those boundaries, it's got to be 90+ percent Latino. If you expand "Pico-Union" all the way west to Western, yeah, the concentration of immigrant Latinos would be somewhat diluted.

There's a Montecito Heights Blogger, but is there one for Happy Valley? Monterey Hills? Rose Hill? Glassell Park?

Peter McFerrin said...

Oops, I just responded to an email from LACN as a comment. The original email:

I bet you'd find more than 5% English speaking in the area - remember,
Pico Union includes the Byzantine-Latino Quarter: don't discount all
those Greeks at Papa Cristos & St. Sophia's. Also, there are schools,
El Cholo, A field office for Herb Wesson - that's all in Pico Union
area. I'd bet there are more "observers" that are English speakers that could write a blog, but a Spanish blog isn't a bad thing either.