Monday, February 19, 2007

Don't Park at a White Curb

An anonymous reader wrote in and asks about getting a parking ticket in a white zone:
"I just got a ticket in Silverlake[sic] for parking in a white zone outside of a
church from 9:30-11PM. There was no signage at all, just a white curb. Is it
worth fighting? Thanks."

I would say "no," since a white zone is technically passenger loading & unloading, 24 hours each day, 7 days each week. If you parked there for 90 minutes, you're technically in violation; and I would not waste the time fighting it because you probably won't win since you're technically in the wrong.

Remember, it's only Green Zones and Yellow Zones that allow parking after 7pm.

And remember, Silver Lake is two words.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I've always wondered what the wisdom is of having a white curb have special meaning. Curbs are made of concrete... concrete is pretty close to white... with a little paint peeling and fading, maybe a little dirt, it becomes hard to tell if the curb is painted or not, especially at night. Many times I've parked somewhere and then had to get out for a closer look to decide whether or not it was ok.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. I got bit by one of those white curbs in Hollywood for just that reason. There were no signs and it was impossible to tell the curb was anything other than dirty concrete gray at night. Made me mad because I checked so carefully for restrictions.

Anonymous said...

guess I was parking at the very same church in Silver Lake, the white paint on the curb is nearly impossible to see, especially at night, the church is always closed and locked and these parking guys collect money there, every night, 1629 Griffith Park Blvd.

Anonymous said...

Happy to say that I fought the ticket (received in front of church in Silver Lake) and won. I used the argument that it was too dark to see that the curb was painted white. Claim was found valid and ticket was dismissed. Guess they'll have to make their money somewhere else now....