Monday, February 12, 2007

A Poem for LA

The City Nerd's creative writing is decent but not "the best ever" by any means. I appreciate meter and literary devices like assonance & consonance, and when that's mixed with Los Angeles, it's a poem I like.

So, The Lincoln Heights Nerd just discovered she's such. (Like yesterday: better late than never.)

But more interesting is that she reprinted a poem about downtown from 1992. I thought it was quite nice, and worthy of a reprint:

Summer came to Spring Street
as something came crashing out of a third story window.
The curious few stop to wonder at its meaning,
And then move on, as if in disappointed agreement:
“It was only a chair.”


Then, it made me think: what's my short Poem for LA? Here's my first draft of a 4-liner:
Los Angeles

As the world opens to the universe beyond
The streets slither and creep in peace
From here in between it all
Chaotic wonder - mainly at first - takes the City away


Have you got a short poem to share?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a haiku about LA with some help from some local celebrities:

Hate it or love it
The underdog is on top
Los Angeles Times