Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Entertainment Capital of LA?

So, as an L.A. City Nerd, I take notice of what things claim to be in relation to the City. Lately, NBC-Universal's Universal Studios Hollywood has been claiming to be the "Entertainment Capital of L.A." Now, I always thought that Hollywood - or maybe Burbank - was the Entertainment Capital. But, maybe Universal City, a mostly unincorporated portion of LA County, is the geographic center of the Entertainment Capital of Los Angeles, and therefore, the world.

What I find disenchanting is the claim that their commercial makes that all of Los Angeles flocks to Universal Studios.

According to Variety, the ad campaign is designed by Brentwood-based firm David & Goliath. From Hollywood (Hollywood Boulevard, Gardner Street) to the Westside (405, PHC) to Downtown (6th Street Bridge over the LA River), people are hitchhiking their way to the Cahuenga Pass Lankershim offramp. I admit I appreciate seeing real Los Angeles locations as they claim geographic superiority to the rest of the region - at least they're not using sets. They are truly marketing to us locals, as AdWeek reveals (subscription required). If that wasn't enough, in their competition with Disneyland, the #1 theme park in the region, Universal will offer a free shuttle from Anaheim to Universal City starting July 1.

I haven't been to Universal Studios in years, and these ads don't make me want to go back. But, they do make me want to further explore the neighborhoods of Los Angeles. I need to take a walk down Hollywood Boulevard again soon... I think it's been a little over a month since I last passed over Carl Laemmle's Star.

2 comments:

Mike Everleth said...

Many times I have to wait for the bus at Hollywood & Highland, standing there next to the hoardes of homeless teens and tourists crouching down to get their picture taken next to Marilyn Monroe's star. And you know what, I love it. I love Hollywood Blvd. and even the monstrous H&H complex.

The only people who ruin it are the freaks handing out Tony Alamo newsletters. I snarl and swat at them to get out of my way.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of locals prefer not to deal with tourists, which is partly why we avoid destinations like Universal Studios.