Friday, May 25, 2007

First Roller Skating Rink in Los Angeles

Who knew? Back in 1871, roller skating first came to LA and was a hit! From Harris Newmark's first hand account of Los Angeles:
A genuine novelty was introduced in 1871, when Downs & Dent late in February opened a roller-skating rink at Teutonia Hall. Twenty-five cents was charged for admission, and an additional quarter demanded for the use of skates. Ladies and gentlemen flocked to enjoy the new sensation; a second rink was soon opened in Los Angeles and another in El Monte; and among those who became proficient skaters was Pancho Coronel, one of the social lions of his day. In time, however, the craze waned, and what had been hailed as fashionable because of its popularity in the great cities of the East, lost in favor, particularly among those of social pretensions.
So, when people say that roller rinks were a big hit in the '70s, they were right in both decades. I wonder if skating will again be the rage in 2070. (I'll let you know when we get there!)

5 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

As a child in the early 1960's, I remember going to a roller-rink somewhere on Washington Blvd. (maybe Culver City, maybe Palms). I think the wheels of the rental skates were wood. We had birthday parties there. It was a huge, dome-shaped or quonset hut shaped building. If it was your b-day, you got to skate under the colorful flashing lights with the other b-day celebrants. Sigh. Good times.

Anonymous said...

As a child in the 1960's *I* remeber skating at The Moonlight Rollerway on San Fernando Road in Glendale. 6 months ago I started skating there again, with my daughter... And it's a blast! 2070 is here early!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me where the Savoy roller rink was located in Los Angeles, Ca. I have been told it was somewher on Central Ave.

Anonymous said...

Savoy Rollerskating rink 76th $ Central

Anonymous said...

Yes, The Savoy Rink on 76th and Central Ave. I LOVED SAVOY❤️
If I recall correct, Mr. and Mrs. Crenshaw were the couple at the front door before you enter. :)