Thursday, May 03, 2007

Parking in an Alley

A reader writes in: "What are the parking rules in L.A. County regarding 'Alleys'? I have been told that alley parking is only short-term, for businesses (pick-ups and deliveries). But I've never seen this in writing, so I don't know. What about after business hours?"

Well, I can only speak in terms of CITY alleys (of which there are 800 miles). The Municipal Code is fairly clear:

SEC. 80.61. STANDING IN ANY ALLEY.

No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle for any purpose other than the loading or unloading of persons or materials in any alley.

This applies at all times. If you are just sitting in your car in an alley - whether it's on or off - you could theoretically get a parking ticket. So, don't stop in an alley unless you're loading or unloading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nerd

Anonymous said...

nerd alert

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't there be signs posted in the alley stating this? Or is there any kind of legislation stating that signs MUST be posted? I just got a ticket for parking in front of my own garage, there are NO signs and I've lived here for over 2 years. I'm pissed!