Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The history of your street

Ever wonder when your street opened or at what point it was extended down the block? How about how many streets in LA have "hill" in them?


There is a nice little tool that will let you search streets via the Bureau of Engineering. It's not named, so we'll call it "The Street Searcher."


(Ok, it does have a name: "ENGINEERING AUTOMATED STREET INVENTORY SYSTEM," or EASIS. But the Street Searcher just sounds so much cooler.)


So basically, click the link and figure out the history of what your street was - or any City street, for that matter. Sadly, recent changes don't have the historic cards available to view, so James M. Wood Boulevard from Figueroa to Western doesn't show the street names that it once was. But, you can see that Olympic Boulevard had an interesting formation just a few blocks to the south and a few decades earlier.


Oh, and about all those "Hill" streets: there are 136 streets that have "hill" in them (not including types streets like Hillary or Achilles). Talk about Hill Street Blues.

Related to Street Names:
Los Angeles Street was Negro Alley

5 comments:

Don said...

Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for... I've got this crazy idea that I'd like to bike all the streets of Los Angeles in alphabetical order. I guess it's to Wilmington and A Street for me.

AVN said...

One day I'll move to a more interesting street.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that many of the olders Westchester streets go only as far as 12-10-17. There are quite a few like that. I wonder if the city had a default date with streets of unknown date of origin?

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This is particularly interesting for those of us who live on numbered and letter named streets (213th street/ Avenue 43). I've discovered I live on an Avenue formerly known as San Rafael street.

Militant Angeleno said...

The only streets I can name are Hill Street (duh) in Downtown, Melrose Hill in East Hollywood and Overhill Dr. in Ladera Heights.