Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Call to Action #1 - LA Neighborhood Signs

With the flurry of excitement surrounding the recent addition of new community names in the City of Los Angeles, and with a request from a reader about photos of all those community name signs, the time has finally come. After more than a year of blogging away, LA City Nerd is asking for the readers and other bloggers around the City to mobilize. It's not a hard challenge, and we know that Angelenos across the City from San Pedro to Downtown to Lincoln Heights to Sherman Oaks to Atwater Village to the 4th floor basement of City Hall East will be able to assist. Anyone with a camera should be able to help out...

So, here's the LA City Nerd Call to Action #1:

Go out and take a picture of your official LA City community name sign. Then, post it to this new Flickr group - LA City Neighborhood Signs - to create the online record of the over 178 signs!

Want to do more? Here's the latest list of all the official neighborhoods - see which one you can snap!

Let's see how long it will take to complete this challenge. Any guesses which will be the last neighborhood to be added to the page? We'll do our part, but we're not photographers here at LA City Nerd. Here's a simple project in which anyone in the City (with a camera) can participate.





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on the case! I can get you LH and maybe some of the surrounding areas, like the mysterious hermit community of Hermon. I'll even go check if our Happy Valley has the blue sign. Hasta Pronto.

Anonymous said...

BTW, would you mind changing my designation from nerd II to the Lincoln Heights anti-nerd? Just like Homer Simpson, nerds are my mortal enemies. You being the only exception, of course! ;)

AVN said...

Consider mine submitted! - Atwater Village Newbie

Will Campbell said...

I'm totally in. I'll even volunteer on my next visit to the Watts Towers to canvas those surroundings where during my last visit I was amazed at how many of those signs there were.

I'll also grab pix of the several I pass by on my bike commute to El Segundo from Silver Lake.

dgarzila said...

you will be surprised at the name we have on our official sign

celia said...

i took pictures of the historic core, historic downtown, gallery row, toy district, old bank district and the fashion district while out walking in the neighborhood today, but forgot to snap a chinatown pic while i was out having dimsum. oh well, i guess i have to go back. what a fun project!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo. I went crazy taking the long way home this afternoon and went on a sign hung. Nabbed a bunch. But I uploaded them and added them to the group a couple hours ago and they're still not showing up. :(

Anonymous said...

er... hung=hunt

Evan said...

Doh--I used to live in Crestview, and never took a picture of the sign.

By the way, absolutely no one called it Crestview. Where I lived, on Sherbourne between Guthrie and Sawyer, everyone called it Cadillac. Or "Beverlywood adjacent".

philpalm said...

If someone is adventurous they can go to my xanga blog:
http://www.xanga.com/PPhilip/580812097/the-la-city-sign-challenge.html
And see Chinatown and Happy Valley(not sure if my flicker account worked...)

zelda said...

I've got a beef...

the city has mistakenly posted the West Adams signs too far east.

Our West Adams Neighborhood Council is trying to get our neighborhood signs posted where they should be (Fairfax on the West, 10 fwy on the north, Crenshaw on the East). The problem is the East Adams Neighborhood also known as Historic West Adams has claimed our name... Thomas Guide has it right, we are West, so what gives...

Anonymous said...

I recently saw these newer neighborhood signs:

Sawtelle Japantown
Porter Ranch
Pacific Palisades
El Salvador Corridor
Rancho Cascades
Reseda Ranch
Canoga Park
Glencrest Hills
Ladera