Sunday, April 15, 2007

LA Neighborhood Signs Update #4

Just a few more to go...

First, though, check out Ed's great history of the defining of a community in Los Angeles and how things come to be -who's involved, what it takes, how it happens, etc. This project has raised some interesting questions about our neighborhoods in this City. (More on that in the future, I'm sure.)


Now, on to the update...


After a busy weekend by many, our list of known needed signs is down to 22 or 20 depending on some factors. The 22 number is including all those listed on the list we initially published. Since then, some of those signs have been discovered to be non-existent (and others were confirmed to exist). So, I leave the rest for you to confirm/deny their existence - do they exist or not? Perhaps it's time to ask the City officials if they know where their signs are or are supposed to be?


So, here's the list of what's known to be missing (those with a star either are not yet posted in the community or are confirmed non-existent by LA City Nerd):

Arroyo View Estates*
Atwater
Carthay Village
Griffith Park
La Cienega Ctr
La Fayette Park Square
North Hollywood
Pacific Palisades
Pico – Union
Rose Hills
San Pedro
Shadow Hills
Sherman Village*
South Park
Twin Plaza District
University Hills
Western Heights
Westwood
West Lake
West Los Angeles
Wilshire District
Wilshire Park Mile
Remember folks, we're looking for those official blue signs with white lettering and the City Seal. Now, I tried to find the North Hollywood sign, the Western Heights sign, but I couldn't. So, hopefully you know where it is. Also, it looks like a few of these communities have been officially retired. Let's see what happens.
Thanks to DailyMatador for his work and photo above!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that the La Cienega Center has to be somewhere north of Rodeo. I covered the length from El Segundo Boulevard up to Rodeo and didn't see it, dangit!

Don said...

I've not done a detailed search, but having driven La Cienega from Rodeo to West Hollywood a lot, I don't think it's north of Rodeo either. There's a La Cienega Heights sign north of the 10, but I have no recollection of seeing La Cienega Center anywhere in that stretch.

Anonymous said...

I also drove around what is suppose to be the North Hollywood area and did not find a North Hollywood sign. The paranoid in me is thinking that the city is erasing North Hollywood from the map by breaking up the district into Valley Village, NOHO Arts District, Twin Plaza District, and some "Toluca" derived abomination. Just my three cents.

Thanks for the pic link!

Anonymous said...

update #4 rules. this in getting interesting...

Anonymous said...

...and where is the listing for "Miracle Mile?"

Anonymous said...

I'll give a pair of Kings tickets (for the next season, sadly) to anyone who can find a blue and white SOUTH PARK sign! I combed this area, all I could find were BID signs. This may be a rare instance of the city forgoing spending public funds and letting somebody else pay for signage. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltarrrrr/460464550/

Will Campbell said...

I think you're right Walterrrrr South Park signage isn't out there, but I'm planning on scoping out area tomorrow evening via bike (so keep them tix warm in case I luck out).

Anonymous said...

I'm a native Angeleno, but am now on the East Coast for the past 7 years. I'm too far away to take a pic of the sign.

But, growing up, there was a fairly prominent sign for La Cienega Center on Melrose Ave. westbound at about Sweetzer. Basically, LCC is the small area of L.A. that borders WeHo near La Cienega and Melrose. LCC was a prominent name for the area before WeHo's incorporation.

I believe the sign for LCC is still on Melrose. Anybody willing to check it out?

Another sign was on La Cienega itself near Beverly when the corner was known for Tail o' the Pup and Rexall drugs. It was probably taken down during the construction of the Beverly Connection.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what dailymatador said - and I live in North Hollywood. When I moved in, I carefully checked what the neighborhood was called because I wanted to have a nerdy correctness to my address. Sure enough, though my building is labeled with a "Toluca" name, the official city sign is a block away and the Toluca Lake chamber of commerce site claimed Cahuenga as the official border to the neighborhood. Now I have noticed that you have labeled a location as Toluca Lake in one of your posts that was west of Cahuenga, and when I checked the TLCoC website, they have since stopped claiming the historic boundaries and seem to be welcoming a "Greater Toluca Lake" area. Well, my official address still says North Hollywood, I'm going to keep it real.

As much as I drive and ride my bike around North Hollywood, I have yet to see any blue & white signs for it. (I could however tell you exactly where the Toluca Lake(s), West Toluca Lake(s), Toluca Terrace, Studio City, and Sherman Oaks signs are). However, on Vineland, just south of Whipple, there is a stone sign in the median of the road which says "North Hollywood: Valley of the Stars". Perhaps the city authorized this at some point?

Anonymous said...

There IS an official blue sign for Pacific Palisades. You can see it driving north on PCH at Topanga Canyon.