Thursday, April 06, 2006

LA Observed updates..

Thanks to the LA Observed Nerd, there has been a discussion on two recent posts. Here's some update & clarification...

Community Name Signs
Regarding the 178 community name signs. This list the most recent I've found: 178. The Byzantine-Latino Quarter (BLQ) & Hollywood Dell are not officially sanctioned neighborhoods, though, they may have the official blue signs (still awaiting confirmation). The BLQ may have custom signs or Cal-trans designation, but it stems from a Business Improvement District of the same name established in 1999. The City may have put up signs, but there was no official council action to do so. Hollywood Dell, similarly, has an active Neighborhood Assn., but no City action has taken place to install the signs. The most recent actions on record are the Toluca Terrace signs in the NoHo-Adjacent area of North Hollywood (wanting desperately to be Toluca Lake).

Now, just because they're not on the list, doesn't mean a neighborhood doesn't exist. Remember, there are all the custom signs that designate place like Wilshire Vista.

Steepest Hill
The information I received was from a City Engineer. He sent me that information without a source, and in no way did I intend to omit credit where credit is due: to Times writer Bob Pool. As a City Nerd, I claim not to know everything, but to share what I learn from others so it's out there. After a further online search, I found Pool's article here. I'm definitely going to watch out while using Google Image Search for the colorful additions to my posts.

Thanks for the interest in the City that has so much to talk about: Los Angeles.

No comments: