Monday, April 24, 2006

What?!?

After a weekend of romping about the City, I have only one item that must be reported now...

Chano's is gone.

Ok, not the Chano's near USC - that's safe and sound for now. But the Chano's on Beverly at Vermont has turned into a Fantasyland Fast Food place called Jollibee, which is billed as "the Pilippine's #1 fast food chain." It's nestled in Koreatown on what used to be great Mexican food place - this is truly L.A.!

I like to see new and bright development in older areas, but what scares me a bit is their menu and ads: Chickenjoy? Yum Burger? Mr. Lucky Doubles puts it well here.

I've not tried the food yet as I was dashing down Beverly when the bright McDonald's-like colors caught my eye, so I can't espouse its greatness or failure. But I must ask: what will this do to the Fast Food culture in L.A.? Will this be the next "big thing" or will it go the way of Pioneer Chicken? And really, will Sonic Burger ever break into the Los Angeles market or just keep advertising a place that doesn't exist in the City (county?) on local channels?

2 comments:

vanessa said...

but you have to admit: the meat at the chanos on beverly and vermont was really subpar.

Mike said...

We've been following the Jollibee phenom for some time now at Franklin Avenue; the chain's Eagle Rock location has been open since last year. Jollibee's sister chain Chow King, which already has a location in Panorama City, is also opening in the Eagle Rock Westfield mall later this year.