Thursday, August 03, 2006

L.A. Riots

So, at 11pm last night, I was watching MSNBC. Why? Well, as an LA City Nerd, I have TiVo search for all TV related to Los Angeles (yeah, that's how much of a nerd I am!) I was truly intrigued because instead of Colors, which is always on, it was a documentary produced this year called City in Fear: LA Riots. Interviews ranged from John Mack to Cecil Murray to former LAPD Chief Gates, and it showed the famous clips that all Angelenos who were glued to the TV remember: the parking attendant booth at Parker Center being tipped over, the brick-to-the-face beating of Reginald Denny, countless Korean shop owners on their roofs with guns, looters answering that "everyone's doing it" to questions of why their looting, and emotional Angelenos crying to their fellow citizens: "why?"

It was quite moving and brought back memories of fear and helplessness of watching the tragedy of the City. Everyone should watch this documentary to get a snapshot in 60 minutes of what those 4 days were like. (It will be on again, so watch it/TiVo it if you can.)

Then, before heading to bed, I check LAist and find this post about the LA Riots Spectacular. At first, I thought it was a parody and thought it was in bad taste. Then, I realized it wasn't a home grown internet spoof, but a real movie with real actors. It was not so funny after watching the documentary where you see the emotions of a City out of control. Quite a coincidence and ironic, at that. I honestly don't know if it's funny to see the destruction of the City made fun of. When you link to the official site, they even have a quote from Rodney King - what an embarrassment.

Personally, I'd rather watch the documentary than the comedy, but I'll probably see the movie, too. To understand the City, you have to understand all perspectives.

No comments: