Saturday, August 19, 2006

Wheelies on the 5 South

These days, I don't enjoy LA Observed as much as I did, say, 2 months ago. The change hasn't settled well with me. It's seems clutter, and I always feel like I'm missing something.

Anyway, I try very hard to stay on top of the posts coming out the machine that is now LAO. And, I try to read Native Intelligence there to get a better insight of the various neighborhoods. All are good reads, some connect to me more so than others. I found this story about what is seen while on the freeways of LA of particular interest.

First, I enjoy the way Denise Hamilton captures those crazy moments that we think "Only in LA could this happen" (seeing Warren Beatty at Studio Yogurt on Laurel & Ventura or finding yourself riding bikes with Darryl Hannah while passing the Bradbury Building).

Second, I love the varied locations of Los Angeles, even if all weren't in the City. A travelogue of the City is an exciting journey for a City Nerd like me!

But most importantly, I could relate to seeing a wheelie on a freeway near Glendale. For me, though, it happened at about 10:30am on the 5 South just south of the 134. And for me, it was even more interesting because, as the passenger in a car, I only caught a glimpse of it in the rear view mirror. The driver told me to "get a load of that daredevil" pointing back. We slowed down and let him pass us. I was intrigued as to what would happen next.

Who cares, you might be thinking, and why would you slow down?

Well, the car I was riding in was an LAPD car (as a passenger in the front seat). We slowed down and let him pass us. Then, lights and sirens, and the motorcycle was slowing down on the shoulder next to the Autry. From my seat, I heard the conversation that included: "What the hell were you thinking?" from the officer with a nervous "I'm a stunt driver just testing out a new bike." The officer smiled and got out her pad: "You know that is considered reckless driving, don't you?" He embarrassedly & nervously admitted it, "I know. I know." She laughed, "Why do you want to kill yourself out there? Do it at home on the lot." She closed her pad without writing a citation, and warned: "Don't ever do this again - you could kill someone besides yourself. Seriously."

He - I'm sure - was happy to avoid a ticket, and she told me that giving him a ticket would have been more work due to citing the proper State vehicle codes versus those of the City.

So, to Denise - I know there are cops out there trying to keep you safe. I guess that area near Glendale is an area of appeal to Wheelie-wielding motorcycle riders. Regardless, I appreciated the post immensely.

NOTE: Quotes are from memory and for clarity. They are the best recollection I have and are not meant to be direct quotes.

No comments: